On today’s podcast, you’ll learn 8 more colloquial expressions so that you can sound more like a native speaker.
8 common colloquial expressions – Part 9
- To get up to speed/bring (someone) up to speed/date
To bring (something) up to speed = cause it to be working at its highest level of efficiency.
- to be on tenterhooks = to wait with bated breath, to wait nervously for something to happen.
What is a tenterhook? A tenterhook is a sharp hook that fastens cloth to a tenter, a frame on which cloth is stretched, like a tent, for even drying to prevent shrinkage. The phrase compares the tenseness of the fabric to the feeling of being very tense. (source: Merriam Webster)
- To give (someone) a heads up – When you tell someone about something before it happens, especially of future difficulty, trouble, or danger.
- To think outside the box = blue space thinking / lateral thinking – to think imaginatively using new ideas instead of traditional or expected ideas
- To be snowed under = to be up to your ears/eyes/neck in work (busy, tied up, knee-deep, rushed off your feet)
- To go the extra mile = to go above and beyond (the call of duty) – to make more effort than is expected of you
- The bottom line – the most important factor that you have to consider. / the total amount of money that a company has made or lost over a particular period of time.
The bottom line in a business deal is the least a person is willing to accept.
- In a nutshell = in a word = in short, in the fewest possible words. To sum up. To make a long story short.
…and now it’s your turn to practise your English.
Send us a voice message. https://www.speakpipe.com/inglespodcast
Send us an email with a comment or question to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit our online store: https://store.mansioningles.net/
Thank you to all of you who are helping us by supporting this podcast on Patreon. Join our Patreon program for as little as $1.20 per month (including VAT) and you get instant access to recent transcriptions. https://www.patreon.com/inglespodcast
Welcome to our new Patreon supporters who have joined us this month:
Mar Martin Moreno
In next week’s episode: Talking about money and negotiating price
If you enjoyed this podcast, please tell your friends.
The music in this podcast is by Pitx. The track is called ‘See You Later’